Tuesday, March 4, 2008

22 month update

The distance readers of this blog may wonder what our little hero is up to these days. Well, a lot of the obvious stuff that can be expected from an almost-two-year-old. He loves to run and jump and climb, he is learning to share and take turns, and he is starting to string together three words. I have to watch what I say around him, for sure. Case in point: Our usual postal carrier is a woman, but today we watched as a scruff-bearded long-hair drove up instead. I commented that a hippie was delivering the mail today. He repeated "hippie." Later in the evening, we were reading our Richard Scarry book and came to the part about a letter being sent, and Trevor pointed to the mailman (who is actually a raccoon) and called him a hippie!
Trevor is also becoming quite bossy, in sort of a friendly way. He sometimes reminds me of the popular kid at school who is super nice to you as long as you play by his rules. His friend George was over last week, and the boys were playing in the backyard, digging in the garden beds. George decided to move on to something else. Trevor, pointing his trowel at George, demanded "More!" I asked (as I often must), "More what?" His response was "digging."
Parents are not exempt from bossing. Trevor had a fever last night, and I was babying him when he woke up in the middle of the night. He had two binkies, but he asked for more. I think he wanted a certain one, which I had left in my coat pocket in the car. I told him it was in the car, and he said (I'm not sure, because it sounded like some entirely different words, but the inflection was right) "Get it!"
Of course, my response was, I'll get it in the morning, I'm not wearing any shoes right now, etc., you already have two others. Then I thought it would be cool to record some of these conversations between parents and toddlers, where the parents are wildly guessing what the kids are saying. I say "I have no idea what you're talking about" or just "Oh, really" (which means "I have no idea what you're talking about") sometimes, but it seems discouraging to say it too often.
The End.

No comments: