Friday, March 18, 2011

Today's recipes

I made three recipes today, two from Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book and this Vegetarian Chili from 101 Cookbooks. The bread items are a simple cornbread which is still baking (verdict not out) and "Sea Biscuits" which I would rather call "ship's biscuits". These seemed exciting to me, a kind of cracker made from sprouted wheat berries and rye flour, salt, baking soda, and oil. I also thought my little pirate might enjoy them...they did not go over so great, but I sure had a lot of fun sprouting the wheat!
But I am singing praises for the "chili", to which I had to, had to add celery, which I wouldn't call chili but a hippie stew in mass quantity. Just the thing to bring back last summer (fall, actually, but the sun was shining) and an amazing farm tour I went on, which concluded with live music and a feast of local food and drink. The star of the feast for me was a stew much like the one on my stove, thick with pulses and beans and grains. Anything to remember that, yes, summer DOES exist.
Try it, it's hearty!

2 comments:

Kara said...

Does summer exist? I'm starting to doubt. Juliette, Leonne and I were just talking about how it doesn't seem possible to have good vegetarian Chilli. I made some last week, and it turned out pretty gross. Let me know if yours ends up being awesome so I can try that recipe!

juliette said...

I have a good veggie chili recipe that I will post for you, my loyal reader. Maybe I will even post it before six months later. Alas, the "bean stew" as I made was not really awesome. It was good but I solicited comments and Todd's summed it up: hard to eat. Maybe just too many legumes and not enough vegetables to lighten it up?