Monday, June 11, 2007

Walking & Climbing

Our backyard hardscaping project is in its final phase (you know, the one that lasts forever) and I realized that maybe it's not the most toddler-friendly. The natural stone pavers do not provide an even surface for rookie walkers, and trips and falls have consequences. Even worse than walking on these rough, gritty rocks is crawling on them--I know, I tried, and the loose sand grinds mercilessly into your knees. I think Trevor, too, came to this conclusion after a shorts-weather day, and he then decided to walk instead of crawling. "No way, I'm not crawling on this!" He has mastered the fast crawl, so he doesn't usually resort to his plunky toddling. Besides, he's trying to look cool.
He doesn't walk much, but he can climb. At the playground, it's right for the steps up to the slide, then down the slide feet-first and belly-down. Yesterday, Todd was doing some pruning and had the ladder set up on the patio. I turned my head for a second, then looked over and Trevor was on the first rung of the ladder. I freaked out and ran over, but I was holding hand pruners in one hand and bam, he toppled off backward right onto the rocks. I think maybe he only fell because I freaked out! He was doing fine. Don't worry, no brain damage, really not even a bump (although it had to have hurt.)

1 comment:

NANA said...

Your patio will be great; and I know. you will enjoy the outdoors a lot more once it is finished and you all can relax. Are you having a Father's Day party in you backyard on Sunday? Wish I could be there. Keep a close eye on Trevor. He seems to be following in his dad's footstep and beginning to learn the basics of rock climbing. Have a great summer. Enjoy Trevor and each other.
Happy Nana