Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My Lame-O Blog

Whew. I just read Meghan Arbogast's blog which chronicles her ultrarunning in lengthy detail and I realized how lame my blog is. Maybe I'll start making stuff up because i'm sure not running 31 miles. However, if I were to Arbogast-esquely chronicle my two-mile jog of this morning (6:20 am, mind you), it would go something like this:
I woke at 4 a.m. in the excitement of the run ahead of me. I lay in bed for 45 minutes, unable to sleep with images of Willamette Park flashing through my mind's eye. Finally I fell back asleep until Trevor woke up moments later. I went into the guest room and donned my lucky running shoes and favorite black hoody, then paced around outside waiting for my inspiring running partner, Betsy, to show up. She finally flew around the corner, and we settled into a determined pace towards Willamette Park. We ran uneventfully towards the trail, and I focused on not sounding like I was breathing as hard as I actually was.
As we turned the corner, the unmistakable scent of skunk slapped our lungs and made our eyes water. It was almost too much, but it motivated me to keep going just to get out of the odor before it permeated my hair and clothes. Once we got past that, it was a challenge to keep going, since there really seemed to be no reason to continue. Walking seemed a much saner activity at the time. (Oh, and any other time unless one of the crazy mean guys comes out of the bushes and is chasing you with a knife.) I pretended I was going to be late for work for the third time if I didn't go faster, and I visualized the slip in my box that says, you were late three times, don't think we didn't notice. This positive imagery carried me through the next 50 yards of trail, and soon we were turning back towards the river trail. (I can't believe you're still reading this! But you see what I mean, now...I couldn't stop reading hers either, but it was a THIRTY ONE mile run! I don't think I could make it through the Western States 100 miler report.)
Next installment: Joggers decide to jog downtown and eat croissants at the French bakery twice a week and actually end up gaining weight from a regular exercise program.

1 comment:

Kara said...

You are so so so funny and a very good writer. I was captivated by every detail.. and p.s. I really am impressed with your excerise efforts. They sure beat mine!