Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My lovely birth experience, with few details included

I have an admission to make. I recently realized that before I gave birth to Trevor, I had an idealized and very unrealistic image of labor. I was disappointed when we got to the hospital, rushed to labor & delivery, and the nurse checked me and said I could start pushing (which I actually had already started doing, in the elevator with my entirely cool and collected husband and the orderly who was frantically and repeatedly punching the 4th floor button.) Oh, yes, I was relieved of course that the end was near, but I was disappointed that there would be no time for the whirlpool bath. My idea (although it has taken me two years to admit it to myself) was that I would be relaxing in the tub, lounging in the jets, with the occasional interruption in the form of a mild contraction which I would gently breathe through with a look of focused determination on my unwrinkled brow, only to immediately melt back into a sea of dreamlike serenity. Hmmm, it wasn't exactly like that, but I'm sure that's only because I didn't get in the whirlpool bath soon enough.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I had visions of the whirlpool bath too. The only thing I used the tub for during labor was vomit. Yep. The nurses weren't very happy with me - I didn't use the convenient little vomit catcher tube thing. Oh well, I've enjoyed whirlpool baths since then, hopefully you have too!

Kara said...

I am lucky enough to have been able to enjoy the whirlpool both labors. I love love the water, so if you don't have time to soak in it during labor, make sure you spend lot's of time in it during recovery!

Marianne said...

All I have to say is be glad. If you are in the tub that means you have a long way to go. Pushing in the elevator=baby soon!