Saturday, May 9, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?




When I grow up and blog for a living-you know, ads and that-maybe I'll have a garden blog. I need an idea for a catchy name, though, something with roots or green or sprout in the title.
My first entry will be about garden themes. Not color schemes like purple and yellow, or hot or cool; not dull themes like butterfly garden, white garden (der, that's a color) night, cottage, native, drought tolerant, shade garden. No, it will be about themes that evoke the specific feeling of the garden or the intent of the designer. For example, the present theme of our front yard border is "Romp Freely." (How's that for a blog name, eh?). After ripping out a succession of beautiful, ill-mannered plants--yarrow, snowberry, fennel to name just a few still crashing the party--I unsuccessfully amended the theme: Romp Freely, with Restraint. I guess that doesn't work. Today, as I almost broke my shovel excavating a gorgeous Cape Fuchsia (phygelius for you fellow latin snobs), I came up with another one: Casual Restraint. I'm still working on exactly what that means, but I'm pretty sure it should be pronounced through clenched teeth.
Here are some other ideas to start the list, which I ask you, my faithful readers, to complete: Unbridled Optimism, Zonal Denial, Perpetual Motion, Too Much Festuca (insert other words, Too Much Centranthus, Too Many Irises, etc.), Lazy Hippies, Perfect Symmetry, Cottage Kitsch, benign neglect. What is YOUR garden theme now, and what will it be tomorrow?

2 comments:

Kara said...

If I had a garden if would be called: "Kara's imaginary friend" since I don't have one but want one. Someday :).

Matt said...

"Passive Biodiversity" (Too lazy to pick the weeds).