Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Nesting...

Is starting early this time around. I have been spending too much time reading the "extreme minimalism" posts of my current favorite blog, http://unclutterer.com/ , and just a little time digging through closets and making piles of stuff to take to the thrift store (or at least to the garage.) But I do feel these spurts and they could add up if we have a few more cloudyish days like today.
For example, among my small decluttering projects of the day...pulling all the towels out of our linen cabinet (it does not qualify as a closet) and asking the question...how many towels does a house need? I guess if you're Martha Stewart you need a roomfull for your fifty close friends who show up for an impromptu pool party. But I'll be the first to admit that I don't even know fifty people, and I don't have a pool. I actually hit the web to seek out the answer to this question. Unfortunately, I couldn't find Martha's answer; but I did find one site that claims you need a minimum of two bath towels, two washcloths, two guest towels, and two fingertip towels per person, plus an extra set per bathroom or something like that. They also had important information about monogramming.
I finally decided the proper number of towels is the number that fills two shelves in the closet and piled the rest in the garage, to either pass along or save to wipe up spills. Then the question arose...how many of these such "dog towels" does a garage need? I have not researched that yet.
Just so you know, our linen cabinet now holds nine bath towels, two beach towels, five washcloths (does not include baby washcloths), and three hand towels, none of them properly monogrammed. What the heck is a guest towel or a fingertip towel, anyway? Who cares?

3 comments:

Matt said...

"They also had important information about monogramming."

That cracked me up! :-)

NANA said...

Juliette,
The linen closet is the hardest, and least used room in my house yet is seldom organized. Go figure?

juliette said...

Nana-
I'm happy to see they finally let you on!